Friday, August 4, 2017

In Another World with My Smartphone : First Impressions



This show is wish-fulfilling self-insert garbage.  

OK, now that that’s settled, let’s discuss  why its does a bad job of being a wish fulfilling self-insert.

Gary Stu—I mean Touya Mochizuki is sent to another world after being accidently killed by God. To make up for this blunder God gives him a magic cell phone and basic powers to make his way through random fantasy world #7242.  

Upon arriving he meets a set of adventuring sisters and joins them in various adventures. Needless to say the two sisters are just the beginning of his growing harem, none of which is likely to advance romantically at least through the duration of the TV series. 

Now I could still like this series if not for two facts. First, the main character is pretty much perfect, morally, physically, and in terms of abilities. In the first episode he shows no flaws whatsoever. In the second he shows that he can at least think lewd thoughts, but there is no evidence he would ever do anything untoward. Second, despite the obviously absurd premise, the show seems to take itself seriously. You would think based on the title this show would be at least a little self-aware. It is not. Not even a wink to the audience. 

I tried to like this, I really did, just as I tried to watch the second episode, but I just couldn’t. It was not worth it.

Some say Isekai fantasies are being overused at this point. I say they are going to keep beating this corpse until money stops falling from its entrails. I don’t see that happening this year.

-Gedaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts