Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Review of Dragon Ball Abridged Ep. 58



Oh Dragon Ball Z Abridged…. Have you gotten shorter or is it just me?

After Mr. Satan’s loss and lying to cover up for it, Goku takes his turn, and after an exchange of sexual innuendo that fight begins. If you know the original there isn’t much to say. Cell uses the multi technique, Goku defeats it, Cell uses the Kamehameha, Goku dodges it. There are also jokes. While that might not sound impressive some of them were really funny. 

Dragon Ball Z Abridged continues to be funny, and a great fan tribute to the original. That said I have great problems waiting months at a time for a few minutes of footage. I know I have no right to complain since it is a free fan work, and Team Four Star has a lot of projects to work on. But I really wish we could have at least gotten fifteen minutes. That said I am a firm believer that the episode cannot truly be judged until the season is complete and we can watch it as part of the larger whole.

This episode was step up from the last few, though it didn’t have a huge impact on me.  It almost felt like this was material they were just trying to get through. Perhaps they are working up to the Super Saiyan Two transformation, which TFS is on record of loving. The biggest thing is that a few months in producing for a few minutes of footage leaves a lot of room for anticipation that is hard to deliver on. Having watched this episode twice I will say it holds up, and will probably be a good addition to the season as a whole. All in all it was a decent but not great episode with only one really memorable line. It just left me wanting more. The live stream gave some insights into their decision and a rewatch did a lot to convince me that the material was solid, but I can’t change my initial reaction as much as I understand their choices.

-Gedaemon                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts