Saturday, June 23, 2018

Zelda, Pokémon and Easy Games: Gaming Log 6/23/18



I think I have played Ocarina of Time too much. It just isn’t as magic as it used to be. Granted it’s still a great game but I am thinking I need to put it up for a few years. If you play a narrative driven game too much it starts to become stale. 

Some things never get old. Other's were old from day one. No, Navi I don't want to talk to you!

I have to say the master quest really does not require mastery. The second quest of the original Zelda is several times harder. That is one thing I hate about so many modern games, they are made not only to be beaten, but beaten without any significant struggle, even by children. Any time I beat a NES or Super NES game as a kid it felt like an accomplishment, these days it feels like a matter of course. 

So craving challenge what do I turn to now? Why Pokémon of course! What could be more challenging than baby’s first JRPG? (Or one of the most in depth multiplayer  tournament systems depending on how you play.)

Now this is my second play through of White II and the first time I am doing a Nuzlocke on it. I also found out that the game has a hard mode; unfortunately unless you have or know someone with a copy of Black II you can’t access it. Brilliant game design! Lock a feature behind a co-op feature not everyone can use. Still I failed to get going the first two attempts. But I am now on my third and I am doing well. I am also working on a little fan project that you should be seeing on one of my other accounts soon.

The hell?! what were they thinking! I guess it made sense when the games first came out but not half a decade later. And It needed to be local to bout.
It’s also no accident I am doing this while TFS is doing their Platinum Nuzlocke. I know some people hate them but some of those guys have been inspirations to me. It was between a Nuzlocke of Diamond or White II and I decided to do White II because Diamond is too similar to Platinum and because I am tired of Zubats and other common Pokémon. Gen five has a lot of Pokémon I am not familiar with cause I skipped that generation.

I really regret that I kind of got out of Pokémon around generation five, from what I can tell it is considered one of the better gens. Personally I think the games hit their best point around Gen four and five, though Gen two was also a high point. Gen six is OK, and so is Gen seven but they made some mistakes and really toned the difficulty down. The first few gens seem much harder than anything today and I beat them as a kid, surely the games did not need to get easier. I also don’t like how you have to catch the legendaries in modern Pokémon games. That should be an optional, especially hard challenge, catching them should not be part of the main quest, and they make the game too easy.  

I have heard that the story in Black & White is better than the story in Black & White II, and it really makes me wish I had a copy. Especially since it seems the story in two is a sequel to the first. It kind of sucks but at the time I just wasn’t thinking about that when I bought it. Oh well. Maybe I will buy Pokémon Black at some point.

I wish I had played Black or White first.
And of course I have been working on some other things as well but I don’t want to mention them until they are closer to completion. Keep your eye on my twitter and Censored Gaming; I always want to give props to them for airing my scripts and helping my writing.  

That’s all for this week. I’ll work to keep these logs going in the future. 

-Gedaemon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts