Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Some Comments On Crunchyroll Translations



I was watching Gabriel Dropout and I noticed the subtitles included a lot of puns that were not in the Japanese being spoken. 

Now I understand translation is more an art than a science and that they are on a strict schedule. Puns are hard to translate; in fact they are often impossible to translate. But here is the thing: there were no puns, they were just adding words like “Devil” and “hell” to the dialoged when there was no reason to.

Gabriel Dropout is a good show. We don’t need your lame puns to make it better. Have some artistic integrity for fuck's stake. If I opened a translation of the Aeneid I wouldn’t expect to find a bad Troy/Trojan Man pun in the middle of the second chapter.  Just translate what is said as accurately as you can with the necessary changes to make it into recognizable English. I understand somethings NEED to be changed, and I understand mistakes are sometimes made, But people shouldn’t have to learn actual Japanese understand what is actually being said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts